The accidental death of a young woman earlier this week in Ingersoll, Ont. has prompted a warning from Ontario Provincial Police and Ontario’s Chief Coroner about the dangers of sitting inside a running vehicle for an extended period of time.
At around 7 a.m. Monday, police responded to a report of a suspicious vehicle at an address on Charles Street West. Provincial police found an unresponsive person inside the vehicle, which was parked in the parking lot of an Ingersoll business.
A 20-year-old woman from Bayham, Ont. was pronounced dead at the scene by the attending coroner. Police said the coroner has determined that the cause of death was carbon monoxide poisoning.
They’re now warning the public to take steps to avoid a potentially deadly build-up of the odourless, colourless and tasteless gas when inside a vehicle for any length of time.
“Please make sure you check periodically to make sure your tailpipe is free of snow while you wait for rescue,” said acting Sgt. Ed Sanchuk of Western Region OPP.
Other recommendations from police:
- If your vehicle is more than five years old, have a mechanic check the exhaust system every year. A small leak in the exhaust system can lead to a buildup of carbon monoxide inside the vehicle.
- Never leave a vehicle running inside a garage that is attached to a house, even with the garage door open.
- Always open the door of a detached garage to let in fresh air when you run a car or truck inside.
The family of the…