Garage door extension springs are an important part of your garage door system. They help to lift and open the door. If they break or wear out, it can cause problems with the door opening and closing. In this blog post, we will discuss how to replace garage door extension springs yourself. We will provide step-by-step instructions on how to do spring replacement. Replacing these springs can be a dangerous job, so please be careful if you decide to do it yourself!
Types of garage door extension springs
There are two types of garage door extension springs: torsion springs and side-mounted springs. Torsion springs are located above the door on the header. They are wound up tight and help to lift and open the door. Side-mounted springs are located on either side of the door, towards the bottom. They also help to lift and open the door.
Replacing garage door extension springs
If you need to replace your garage door extension springs, follow these steps:
– First, disconnect the opener from the door. You can do this by pulling the red cord that is attached to the door.
– Next, use a ladder to climb up and support the door. You will need to do this so that the door does not fall on you while you are working.
– Then, remove the springs from the brackets. There are usually two springs, one on each side of the door.
– To remove the torsion spring, you will need to unwind it first. To do this, use a drill to loosen the set screw that is holding the spring in place. Once the set screw is loose, unwind the spring until it is completely relaxed. Then, remove it from the bracket and dispose of it properly.
– For side-mounted springs, simply remove them from the brackets and dispose of them properly.
– Now, you will need to install the new springs. To do this, first wind the torsion spring (if you are replacing one) until it is tight. Then, place it in the bracket and use the drill to tighten the set screw.
– For side-mounted springs, simply place them in the brackets.
– Finally, reconnect the opener to the door and test it to make sure it is working properly.
This can be tricky and hard for you so we recommend contacting a garage door repair services provider for better solutions.
Checking the Balance on Your Springs
Once you have replaced your garage door extension springs, you will need to check the balance on the door. To do this, open the door about halfway and let go. It should stay in place. If it does not, then you will need to adjust the springs.
To adjust the torsion spring, first, loosen the set screw and wind the spring tighter. Then, retighten the set screw.
For side-mounted springs, you will need to adjust the tension by moving the bracket that the spring is mounted on.
If you have any questions about replacing garage it or checking the balance on your door, please feel free to contact us. We would be happy.
Replacing garage door extension springs can be a dangerous job. If you are not comfortable doing it yourself, we recommend that you hire a professional to do it for you. This is especially true if you have torsion springs, as they can be very dangerous if they are not handled properly.
Why Hire Garage Door Repair Doctors Ottawa for professional services?
If you need help replacing it, or if you have any other questions about your garage door, please contact Garage Door Repair Doctors Ottawa. We are a professional garage door repair company that has been serving the Ottawa area for over 15 years. We would be happy to help you with any of your garage door needs!
Replacing garage door extension springs can be a difficult and dangerous job. We recommend that you hire a professional to do it for you. However, if you decide to do it yourself, please be careful and follow the steps carefully.
Thanks for reading!